"Ultima came to stay with us the summer I was almost seven. When she came the beauty of the llano unfolded before my eyes, and the gurgling waters of the river sang to the hum of the turning earth. The magical time of childhood stood still, and the pulse of the living earth pressed its mystery into my living blood."
Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya

Monday, January 12, 2009

To Junta and Back




This had to be the most amazing hike I have ever done. We hiked all the way down to where the Rio Grande River and the Red River meet and are known as wild rivers. This hike was not for the faint hearted- there were ladders, falling rocks, snow, mud staircases and wobbly bridges all perched precariously on a sheer rock face which dropped what must have been 1000 feet down a formidable precipice.
We witnessed breathtaking views which I wont bother explaining in mere words....

After seeing that, you can imagine the trip back up. It was also breathtaking in a different way.... We all made it back up which is really all I need to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment